Rice is a fantastic staple food, a carrier of flavors and sauces.
Normal rice dishes tend to be a bit heavy on the starch side, which can often leave us feeling a little thick in the belly. And not at all friendly for hormone health, which begs for a better balance of good protein and fat.
But it’s a meal we really love, not just for one meal, but for next day or all week leftovers. This healthier version also sneaks in plenty of nutritious veggies without anybody noticing much! Bonus: freezes and reheats well!
Prep and Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- 2c. cooked rice, day old+ is best so it’s dried out a bit
- 2c. cauliflower rice, sauteed in nonstick pan until ‘dry’
- 2 eggs
- protein combo: I use what’s on hand, my favorite combo is
- 1 link of spicy andouille sausage, diced small
- 6 large frozen shelled deveined wild caught shrimp, cut into small pieces
- leftover roast chicken meat, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 24 oz (4c) vegetables of choice (frozen mixed or diced vegetables or fresh and steamed such as mirepoix,peppers and onions, California mix, mixed veggies, chopped bok choy, chopped kale, etc)
- 1-2T olive oil as needed
- soy sauce to taste
- 1T parsley
- 1T basil
- 1tsp rosemary
- 1tsp old bay seasoning
- 1/2tsp garlic salt
- 1tsp cumin
- optional: ketjap (an Indonesion sweet soy sauce, found in international aisle)
In large frying pan, scramble egg with some soy sauce until cooked, remove from pan and place in large mixing or serving bowl.
Steam frozen or fresh chopped vegetables and remove to bowl when done.
Saute onions until almost soft. Add in chopped meats and shrimp for 2-3 minutes until shrimp turns white. Add to bowl.
Saute cauliflower rice until mostly dry, adding 1/2T olive oil, parsley, basil, rosemary and (optional) ketjap. Add to bowl.
Add rest of olive oil to empty frying pan and add rice in pan, stirring to loosen and fry dry. Add soy sauce, Old Bay, garlic salt, and cumin , mix well and stir til dry. Add to bowl.
Mix all together in bowl and serve!
Refrigerate or freeze leftovers to enjoy later!